San Carlos Sport Fishing News
Live from Jungle rivers of Rio San Juan, Nicaragua & Costa Rica #65 3rd of April 2005
* We always fish in quiet Jungle river, no waves, no ruff sea... we fish mostly conventional but also Fly on request , we have all the professional equipment...
* We catch everyday Tarpon in the 90lb 200lb range and some bigger... This is all year Round ..
* Tarpon are always present in San Juan River... Going up and down from or to the Nicaragua lake , they come from Caribbean sea ...also it is remarquable than many stay there and become very big...they even change color due to "Tannin" .in the rivers
* With same length tarpon we catch here are heavier , fatter than the one of the Caribbean this is due to abundance of food..
.* A lot of tarpon of all size here so many time " we made " some IGFA world record ... Obviously "this do not count" as these record fish are not oficial ( Not registered..) reason is we do not wish to kill fish ( We catch and release ) among these record : Children boys and Girl , Men 8lb , 12lb , Women 12lb etc etc.. In a trip with us 99% of the guests have tarpon released to the boat
* We are actually ( April ) in the Dry season so it is always a bit more difficult to catch ... With the heat and less water tarpon are getting lazy...You know "Siesta Style" but they are present , thousand of them.. will bite sometime in the day.. Point is to be on the water..when they are feeding or upset them in order they atack a lure.. .Soon ( May ) we will enter in the rainy season so water will start to grow... , even easier fishing: more rain , less heat so more active tarpon , more bite..
* Observation concerning fish behaviour at that time of the year are almost the same concerning Rainbow bass ( a very good fighter ) than we catch in close Solentiname Archipelago .
* We are getting very busy from December till April. To be able to choose a specific week during that time of the year it is necessary to make reservation almost one year in advance...
* Really I wish and recommend to more people to come from may till September... traditionally we are less busy and there is a lot of fish around..and more active...Rain really is not a problem , Sun rain, sun rain , sun rain.. all day long.. after every rain tarpon bite..
* I like to say than to describe my trips I should say as once sugest me a guest " while only fish when you can have much more "
*It is a fact than we have all year round an incredible quantity of fish around also than we are alone on the river..and nowadays this is a major Privilege.. but also The scenery is great, Rainforest , wild life, Top bird watching .. and art, History, and you will meet very very nice local people ( This contact with local people will bring you exceptional memories..) ...
*We are please to offer Guests since several month the confort of my new Guest House...Paola our Chef start to be famous..
Our Fishing and Trips as been describe in major Magazine as Field and stream , Sport Fishing etc.
* I report very good fishing for Rainbow bass in Close Solentiname Archipelago
* Since a few days I have in service new boats with new engines...
* We are adding several room to lodge witch as recently been aproved as beeing a clasified Hotel after the INTUR inspection ( Tourism Ministery in Nicaragua )
* As every year I recomand to angler than want to fish the 14th and 15th of September international Tarpon snook Rainbow tournament with my team to be in touch early. Good new is than this year we will release all tarpon.
The civil war is over in Nicaragua. The tarpon, unfished for 30 years, are hungry. And no one knows..... Article by Bill Heavey May 2004